Monday, June 04, 2007

[not long now] posts will be back

Normal service will be resumed after the Blogpower polls are put up on Wednesday evening and there's some breathing space.

There's been comment and some people have been good enough to communicate it to me. What will I do if this or that happens? Wouldn't it be better to ... ? Most of the suggestions and banners and so on have been taken on board and the feedback has been great.

None of which explains why I took the Awards and just ran them. Doesn't seem too democratic. The thing is, I am virtually my own boss over here and I tend to seize opportunities. As the majority of my clients were taking breaks for a few weeks, the opportunity was too good not to seize, particularly as my blog hiatus is coming up soon.

It had to be now.

As for opening it up to the known universe instead of keeping it cozy and clubby, there seemed little point in running some transparent awards if no one was going to be around to experience them. So if the Blogpowerers get shut out of most categories, then this blogger is going down in flames. He'll be hung by his groupmates. The test will be tomorrow.

There's been criticism of two kinds - that expected, for example by the politically opposed blogger who just said "here's my list" and not one Blogpowerer was on that list. Ho hum. But one which did rankle was the fellow Blogpowerer who sent me an e-mail with the header "[SPAM] Blogpower Awards."

That was constructive of him and I'd like to point him to the 237 e-mails, last time I checked - on the whole people who took it seriously and thought through their nominations. There are 24 waiting now.

I think it's all worth it but we'll see tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. You should expect most of the Blogpowers not to come away with awards as most of them are relatively unknown. However, this will get a few more people looking at them as, I understand, your original intention was.

    I think it'll work out fine anyway. Maybe next year you could automate a web site for it and advertise it a bit more in advance. I'll best a lot of people won't hear about it until after the event as they only go browsing at the weekends and won't have had the chance to nominate someone.

    I must confess I thought you were doing Blogpower memebers only or when you started talking about it I would have suggested more lead time than you could fit in before your systems go offline. To give more people advance warning. But such is life.

    If the worst comes to the worst you are far enough away with enough totty to keep you going for a while. What have you got to worry about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are plenty other structured and anticeptic awards around. This is impromptu, not too serious and fun. Especially since you are the one doing most of the hard yards. This does not need to be democratic. There is no money at stake. After all our motto is Vote Early Vote Often. I am sure that it will achieve the objective of again raising the profile of Blogpower.

    Excellent work again James. What are you going to do with yourself if you are not blogging. Have a holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm seeing it in a different light and taking it too seriously. It's the way I am. If you are doing something then you may as well do it right. Nominated by bloggers, voted for by bloggers and not used for personal capital makes a unique award in the blogging world. A prize worth having and not incestuous. James is starting something here and he is taking on a lot of work.

    It's already a bit of fun as well. I've seen people sniping at each other. It is looking good and the nominations seems to be coming in thick and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. james,

    you handsome ole thing, hooray for you! I agree with bag that you will generate traffic for your fellow Blogpowers members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say it -

    I just went over to Blogpower to see how the nominations are coming along and found MY NAME. I am very grateful to the two persons who nominated me. That is so kind.

    In any category with you in it, I fear I must vote for you james. Oh well, next year..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, good people, for your words of wisdom and i do think there is validity in all these points expressed here, which is unusual for me. I usually disagree with much of what I see.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.