Friday, May 25, 2007

[some notes] about the novels

Re the novels, jmb asked: "So how come we are getting these teasers? Are you going to put it up somewhere as the whole? Is it published?"

No, not published yet although I did hawk an earlier version of Book 1 to some London literary agents in 2000 and one was encouraging, if not conclusive and another was verging on rude.

They must have been rewritten twelve or thirteen times, to cut out the smart literary phraseology and make it leaner and meaner and to deepen the characterizations.

I don't know how you write yours but I have to draw characters from real life - I can't contrive or amalgamate them. Names are real too but applied to the wrong characters.

Time frame is from 1994 to around 2020 [apocalyptic]. I call them romantic thrillers but the truth is they're about a series of continual shocks from the outside world which punctuate the intimacy until they take over the story completely.

I'll try to put the first two chapters up this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, James. Interesting to know about your writing process. It'll be great if you can post a couple of chapters for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James.

    Off topic....or maybe not..

    Firstly, what a lovely comment, thank you.

    Now.

    'I call them romantic thrillers but the truth is they're about a series of continual shocks from the outside world which punctuate the intimacy until they take over the story completely.'


    Aye, there's the rub.

    I've been interrupted by real life, my previous one breaking down and my new one only recently coming out of the darkness with the light of spring.

    Suffice to say that ScotsToryB has now a vacancy for ScottessToryB.

    Will I stay this time? You betchasweetass I will!

    This means, of course, I'll be spouting my usual nonsense in my never ending quest for knowledge and learning, showing my sophistication(?) and naivete, continuing to be the one at the back who raises his hand and states that whilst he fully understood 99% of the topic that niggardly 1% nags; blether and question, comment and annoy, laugh and cry.

    I believe the Hopi have a name for it - human being.

    ScotsToryB

    p.s. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    Slainthe,

    STB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any STB-ettes out there interested in the position?

    Thanks, Welshcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know how I missed this on Friday (or Thursday for us), but I'm glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.