Tuesday, May 01, 2007

[politics] and the curse of conscience

It's a two day holiday for us, not counting the weekend and I've just been jawing a little on the line with my best mate here. The topic? The Thomas More Syndrome, otherwise The Curse of Conscience.

Let me explain.

Thomas More was a member of a set. An academic, he was raised in station and had it all before him if he'd been of a certain mentality, if he'd wanted and if he'd kept his mouth shut. His wife, with her keen social sense, certainly wanted and was grateful for where Thomas led her.

You know the story.

He couldn't go along with the King on the grounds of conscience. In politics, it's always "either for us or against us" and Thomas wanted to tread a middling path, agreeing on this and disagreeing on that.

What's more, being free to do so without anyone questioning his loyalty.

When the chips were down, he took refuge in the law but if he'd been truly wise, he'd have taken refuge in the subject of his demise, Jesus Christ.

Both my mate and I came to the Christian stance intellectually, i.e. not through personal tragedy or trauma. However, the set we hob-nob with look at both of us askance, as some sort of weird eccentrics. In their eyes, we've both, in our own way, betrayed our own kind.

I may have now also lost Winfred Mann and that's sad. She's clearly of the same way of thinking as me and we could sit at the same table at a dinner party and converse half the evening.

In Britain, the independent school heads were my milieu. I could easily fall in with Ellee, Sally and Geoff in Norfolk and ramble with them on the continent if they would have me.

In America, I was a guest and friend of people from Orange County/San Clemente but not DelMar/Le Jolla. I had neither the cash nor the contacts for that. In Australia, it was Toorak/South Yarra. In BC, Canada, I spent nearly all my time at North Van, West Van, Whistler and on English Bay.

On the other hand, I'd feel equally at home pubbing in Edinburgh or at Masham, I'd count Rab C. Nesbitt as a mate and I've handed out Labour material in my early Urban Guerilla manifestation, not unlike Rick of the Young Ones. Vivian was my favourite.

Around London, I wore bowler, smoking jacket and Stranglers T-shirt, a semi-droog without the violence. Trouble is, you're not allowed to do those things in society.

My belief is that John Howard and George Bush are right in standing up to the quagmire of PC dreggishness that godless leftists are dragging us down into but there's only one problem.

I have evidence that some of the men behind them are corrupt. At least, I'd meet such and such a person at a fundraising do, who'd invite me to another bash, where I'd meet someone who some years later would be up on a cash-for-honours rap, that sort of thing.

Put together with the material put out by the other side and the circle closes. And there's very little chance of it being wrong. What, should I close my eyes to it?

In George's case, he's sold out his country to the CFR. There's no question about the evidence. I've read the wording of the two documents. March 13th, 2005 is a good start if you really want to investigate it.

So what can I do? Shut up and go along with my natural set, the Republicans? What would Thomas More have done?

Now I see Winfred Mann, who is clearly not au fait with the story of the SPPNA, viewing my savage attack on Blackwater as beyond the pale and her question in the comments section is to the point:

"If you were caught between the terrorists and Blackwater, whom would you want protecting you?"

Clearly the latter, Winfred, and these guys would most likely be my friends in real life, being ex-military. Trouble is, I have to ask another question:

"If you were caught between the corrupt forces behind and permeating both major party leaderships, Blackwater, FEMA, the Masonic community, the Christian Church and the intelligence and psychological communities on the one hand … and ordinary, decent folk within both major party leaderships, Blackwater, FEMA, the Masonic community, the Christian Church and the intelligence and psychological communities on the other, whom would you want protecting you?"

The gospels speak of tares growing up among the wheat stalks and this is the true state of the picture. Neither party is naturally corrupt and contain many fine people. I know many in the Masonic community and they are upright, honest citizens. My dad was one.

They read my posts and it doesn't accord with what they know.

Trouble is, these good people are not "tare-sensitive" to the point I am. I know some of the tares also at the same dinner party and they stand out a mile in my eyes, due to this little comment, that little error, something which accords with a snippet picked up some time in the past - so what does one do? Stay silent or do as Thomas More did - "out" them?

And who would believe me anyway?

This is the true curse of conscience, for if you follow its dictates, you lose your tribal identity and its protective mechanisms and you leave ourself wide open to the savages from the Capitol down to the lowest Holmesian drug den.

What to do?

4 comments:

  1. Its my view that you can always achieve more "on the inside", the moment you identify yourself as someone who isn't a fully fledged member of whatever peer group you are enmeshed within you will find yourself no longer part of the decision making framework and what good is that.

    Politics and conscience were never good bedfellows and right or wrong it is a form of vanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting and honest post James and I empathise. It's very, very hard to lose your "tribal identity". I think you are probably like Thomas More in that you have honour but I wouldn't like you to get your head chopped off! The very wise Head of one school where I taught used to say that one has to accept that "you can't always live according to your principles in a society founded on different ones." It took me years to come to terms with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody draws the line in different places for every subject. That's why I can hate Bush and Blair. Respect Bush for having the courage to push his policies through. Think the troops should be out of Iraq and support the jobs the troops do. I don't support the death penalty. I think illegal immigrants should be returned to the home country regardless of where it is but legal immigrants refused access should have to be handled differently. We should be out of the EU, reform the UN and ............ the list goes on and on. Just like me.

    We all disagree with someone. If that is critical to friendship then there is no point in deluding yourself. They are not your friends. You will have to lie but eventually something will come out.

    I have many friends, some are even Labour supporters, still. We still have many discussions on politics. None have fallen out with me yet nor have we even come to blows. Can I say any more than that?

    Stick to your principles and follow your conscience. It's much better in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conspiracy theories have driven some to madness. One must consider the sources of the conspiracies to determine their validity.

    WM

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.