Friday, May 18, 2007

[blogging] versus the day job

We're all in this game to put up some thoughts and hopefully be read by others. We also have day-job pressure on us.


I know it cuts no ice to continually be saying this but I haven't been round to your site for days - I know this and I can see certain bloggers thinking: "Well, if he's not interested enough, why should I visit him?" Regulars keep visiting and to them: "I thank you profusely."

It's not due to disinterest I assure you. For a start I need your thoughts to fuel the Blogfocus, let alone expand the pool of themes of interest to discuss.

I just can't escape my day-job at this moment and it's really eating my blogging time to the point I post and check comments, answer e-mails and try to get to six or seven sites. Sometime tonight I hope to get free of all this and get around to visit.

8 comments:

  1. Well James, I am always amazed and grateful that you come by at all because my blog is so different from yours I can't see what could possibly interest you at mine.

    You are such a prolific blogger that I wonder you get out at all, what with your day job as well.

    I'm scrabbling to get around to my favourites to catch up since I got back. So many blogs, so little time.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just said it in as many words, jmb - diversity and the nature of the person behind the blog. I am privileged to have discovered you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the day job! I've always marvelled how in the pre-WW2 days in Britain people seemed to have so much more time. Of course they didn't have blogs, but then again they wrote many more letters and seemed to have time to do 'stuff'.

    The TV must be a big part of 'what's to blame' but it can't be all? In the 70s when 'time management' became a concept people eagerly grasped it in the business world. It seems to me that it’s a concept that most everyone could now grasp and apply across their lives today. I've recently been trying to wheedle out all those extraneous things that just seem to add no value to my life. Of course that doesn't count blogging, reading, gardening et al, but it has included a reduction in magazine subscriptions - notably The Week and the Spectator (the latter because Mathew d'Anconna is not a great editor I'm afraid). I'm lucky to work at home which gives me up to three extra hours each day compared to many commuters I know. It also gives me time to walk and talk with my wife and generally to 'stop and smell the flowers (I'm an unreconstructed hippie in that sense).

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, I don't know how you get the time anyway but let's have no whinging about work taking time. After you published the piccys of your work colleagues I offered to come and work but was totally ignored. So you get no sympathy from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard: an interesting read, sir.

    Bag: [chuckles quietly to himself]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you're feeling so pressed for time... I'm having the exact same problem. You're doing fine.

    jmb is right... so many blogs, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James sorry I havent' commented over the last couple of days been very busy but you can rest assured that I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.