Friday, April 27, 2007

[sea of troubles] change the lifeview

Leaving aside the metaphysics and theology and concentrating instead on people, as in human beings and all their joy and pain, the issue of suicide is sad because there IS an answer and many people have seen it work many times.

A doctor doesn't treat symptoms - he treats root causes and that's the only way to go. The drugs and the electro are cosmetic fixes. A huge amount of the trouble is when we put ourselves at the centre of ourselves and our needs above all.

This is the sun and the stars revolving around the earth. Even a rationalist will say that's a rubbish model.

This manifests itself in an obstinate drive to solve all problems ourselves and we can't because we simply don't have all the equipment [unless you're a superman - I'm not].

You know the rest - despair, drinking, bleak music and so on. Absence of hope is what it comes down to and according to Dante, there's one particular entity who has this even written over his gateway.

Medically, there are people predisposed to despair and suicide. I may be one of these. Plus there is life experience to take into account. But even medical science knows of many "miracle" cures, so many that perhaps it should start to take the phenomenon seriously.

The human physionomy and brain can do remarkable things if it's operating in the right way. This is all JC was saying in pushing the faith, hope and charity thing so hard. It stands to reason. Faith, hope and charity regulate the brain and allow little time for despondency.

Putting family, friends and unfortunates first is a first step and no one is saying that's the preserve of the Christian alone. That would be idiocy to suggest that. It's just a first step to a sense of self-worth.

It doesn't change the curmudgeonliness, the cutting tongue [or keyboard] or life's day to day issues. It just makes it so much easier to cope if one is outward, rather than inward looking.

And this is not my character. I'm a selfish mother, with a caustic tongue. Any niceness you see in me was put there.

Which brings us to the next thing. There are no free lunches.

If you want comfort in your troubles, you have to pay for it. Standard business principle. The 3rd person in the Trinity is the good oil - it works in the same way those without a Ferrari can't appreciate true speed and safety until they've driven one.

But there's a price. You have to believe it can work first. It's the Peter walking on water principle. Believe, you walk on water, you soar to the clouds. Lose faith and you sink. Who cares whether it was allegorical or if it happened?

In my situation, I would say all my troubles came from stubbornly insisting on my own way. On the occasions I throw up the hands and say: "OK, OK, what do you want me to do then?", immediately things fall in line.

Things start to gel instead of jarr.

In a nutshell, we're going to come a cropper if we let this manic drive for self-aggrandisement consume us [even if we insist it's for the good of our family]. Doors close here and there, opportunities present themselves less and less and so on.

Go the other way though and it's simply good business practice.

That's all I wanted to say.

9 comments:

  1. We can also realise that we are important - just for ourselves and in ourselves - putting others first - whether friends or family -must be balanced with a sensible perspective on that. So much for charity.
    I am happy just to be me right now. If you were to look objectively at my life you might think there was a lot wrong - money, property, marriage etc - but I am happy and happy just be me a lot of the time. None of that stuff bothers me at all.

    Faith in what - a supernatural being? Or that in the end whatever will be , will be? Hope ?- it would be saying I was unhappy to say I hope for something in particular. I don't for one hope for anything.

    Accept yourself and your life and stop striving for this or that or the other - especially the pretence of safety and security. There is none.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Putting family, friends and unfortunates first is a first step and no one is saying that's the preserve of the Christian alone. That would be idiocy to suggest that. It's just a first step to a sense of self-worth."

    I think so too. Unfortunately, our current culture encourages us to find ourselves, glorify ourselves, find our own truth, and generally wrap ourselves up completely in ourselves. Not very healthy.


    Hope doesn't need to imply unhappiness. It's just the opposite of despair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree, Mutley, when you say:

    Accept yourself and your life and stop striving for this or that or the other - especially the pretence of safety and security. There is none.

    Ruthie:

    I agree with what you wrote here.

    I'm glad about these two comments because they were common sense from different parts of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies if this seems a little trite but it always resonates with me. From the end of the Shawshank Redemption:

    "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that some people may be psychologically more inclined to depression and its results and, like you, I don't know if that's genes or life experience. Your other commenters, and you, have said everything else that I would like to have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James

    I hoped to post much earlier and now it's so late my brain is in standby but I'll try anyway.

    You mention your "caustic tongue. Yes, you have that but, then again, we can all do that - especially remotely by keyboard.

    You then say, "Any niceness you see in me was put there. Why do you say this? Why should it not be you, naturally you: yours not placed there by another.

    I think on-line you can portray yourself as this sharp-tongued, brook no disagreement,person but that's not the real you. I see those traits in you, of course I do, but well-hidden are these other traits - friendliness, friendship, understanding, kindness and humour. I'm sure if it weren't so late I'd list others.

    James, you are so much more than you say you are.

    Also below are some words I wrote years ago when I was really struggling. I had them pinned to the wall at work, in my wallet, in my filofax. There's no reason they should help you at all because they were intensely personal. In fact, it's very presumptuous of me even to post them here but there you go, I've done it. At worst you only have to read them once.

    "I need to sing a happy song
    Because I'm sad inside
    Sad, sad and tearful
    Tears I cannot cry
    So wash away the hidden tears
    With words so full of joy
    That life is seen again as life
    And not as pain and death
    "

    Calum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calum, thanks for that. This just confirms what I half-suspected from the recent debate on immigration - that you don't just think, you feel.

    I think your words here stand up of their own volition and show you to have the poetic bent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. James, so much of what you have said here I can agree with. But you are overlooking some factors when you say that there is an answer to suicide. For some people that is true, with suitable antidepressants and/or modern ECT (in no way like that of 54 years ago when my father had it). And in actual fact a clinical depression ultimately lifts in time. But you have to recognize that a clinical depression is a chemical problem and cannot be simply lifted by changing one's attitude or putting others first. A truly clinically depressed person is incapable of functioning in a normal way and hopefully if they are suicidal (which not all are) you prevent that with drugs, etc, even confinement, until it does lift.

    What I have said here comes not from my own personal experience, when frankly I was too young to know anything about it, but from the last 18 years of my career in hospital pharmacy with 60 psychiatric beds along with the 500 hundred other beds.

    This is not to take away from anything else you have said. But many people do not understand that for clinical depression you do not have a choice to be or not to be depressed, you just are.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.