Thursday, April 19, 2007

[flowers] a language all their own

A Banksy pic with Higham embellishments

It's an ancient art which has almost died and if I hadn't been reading Miss Marple's Four Suspects, I should have missed it. Like hand-torn paper and quill pens, it's a joy we can always rediscover.

A small selection [more next time]:

1 Azalea - Take care of yourself for me

2 Bouquet of withered flowers - Rejected love

3 Carnation (pink) - I'll never forget you

4 Carnation (striped)- sorry I can't be with you

5 Dahlia - Treachery and misrepresentation

6 Hyacinth ( purple) - I'm sorry; please forgive me

7 Hyacinth (white)- I'll pray for you

8 Jonquil - Desire for a return of affection

9 Lily (general) - Keeps unwanted visitors away

10 Monkshood - Beware, a deadly foe is near

11 Orchid [purple] - I await your favours

12 Peony - Aphrodisiac

13 Rose(Black) -Death

14 Tulip(yellow) - Hopeless love

15 Viscaria - Will you dance with me?

You can speak to someone with flowers tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I think the whole 'language of flowers' is beautiful.

    My favourite flower is a white rose. What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you receive a single jasmine flower in Sicily, you are next on the Mafia's hit list! I just thought I'd cheer you up with that... buona notte

    ReplyDelete
  3. M&M, a white rose means eternal love; innocence; heavenly; secrecy and silence but a white rose bud means girlhood and presumably innocence.

    Welshcakes, I'll need to remember that when I'm over there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.