Saturday, February 17, 2007

[news] why the blog's been dormant

I'm posting this while the technician artificially holds me in the internet.

The system has crashed and I need new processor, new hard disk and a different internet provider. We've done the latter but the other two must be done on Monday morning. We have to reinstall Windows and the other programmes in conjunction with this. He says the FAT 32 is useless for what I'm trying to do. I haven't a clue what he means.

On every seven or eight tries, the blog opens for about ten minutes so I'll try to get three pieces together and post them in one hit tomorrow around lunchtime. I'll have to wait till Monday to surf and say hello to you.

Trouble is, yesterday my wiper motor rod broke in the car in the excessive snow [that's a post in itself] and today the vacuum cleaner went down and the threaded rod sheered on the old tap in the bathroom - that one was my fault entirely for not replacing it sooner. These have to be fixed first. It's a fun time coming up to the birthday but the health is fine [touch wood].

To regular readers - the Blogfocus will be on Tuesday now. Hope you're all right yourselves, nothing broken and see you then. Miss you.

11 comments:

  1. If you get this, sorry about all the things going wrong at once, James. It never rains but it pours! Miss you, too. When's the birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a mac, get a mac, get a mac. I'm hoping that if I say it three times it will force you to do it. If you get a new mac then you can run windows on it as well using Boot Camp. Then you never need to have windows connect to the internet and it won't corrupt (as much). I used to be a Windows nut, but a couple of years ago I switched and haven't looked back. I now spend more time ding and less time fixing. Do it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, your woes put ours into persepctive. We spent several days following the aftermath of a very small ice storm without elctricity. Which here means no heat, light, water.

    We got by with lots of blankets and a kerosene heater. And yes, we were careful re carbon monoxide.

    I even managed to post once because our phone worked so we had dial-up. It's one of those old fashioned UN-wireless phones. Can't walk around with it, but it's great in a storm. And it has better sound quality. And I'm glad we kept our dial up as a back-up for such situations.

    Got everything going again, and the satellite modem went bonkers so now we're back to dail-up *again* --until the new modem arrives from Wild Blue, which should be Monday.

    Sorry about your computer. The Baron won't have a Mac because he can't view the source code and it limits his programming. Some people swear by them, but he decided early on not to go there.

    Hope you have a good tecchie. My idea of handling glitches is to call downstairs..."Baaaaronnn!" As one of his clients once said to me (while the Baron was tweaking some program the man needed: "I can use computers about like I can fly. I need someone to take off and someone to land, but while I'm in the air, I'm an ace."

    Describes me to a 'T'.

    Happy Birthday!

    (I really came over to find the stuff about Faust so I can quote you...doing a fem. post)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit of a bummer, that. I'm a bit lost without my blogfocus to keep me going. Still, hope it's all ok soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've all missed blogfocus I've been worried I haven't heard from you for a while. I hope you get it sorted soon. And very happy birthday wishes, though I suspect we have missed it, I believe it was two days before Valentine's, if my memory is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondered if you are going to try the new Windows Vista while you are having a complete overhaul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that FAT32 was a problem. That said, when I do a major hardware upgrade, I take the opportunity to rebuild what's on my hard drives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi people, thanks for the kind words. I'm semi-back and guess what - everything's now in Beta or whatever they call the new system.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.