Tuesday, February 20, 2007

[guest bloggers] a breath of fresh air

Tom Paine, at The Last Ditch, has suggested some 'guest blogging'. I think the idea would be great and yet there are clearly issues here, many of which are starting to be discussed over at Blogpower. My thoughts are:

1] How many do you invite? There might be 12 people you'd love to see at your site but the moment you start with three, as I have, inviting Tom himself, Lady Ellee and Mr. Eugenides, then others may well feel miffed. The solution is to invite more the following week and hope that your guest posts within the week.

2] A blog is like a person's home and the guest is just that. You have your own style - ranter, 'issue discusser in depth', 'short grab poster' or 'long piece devotee'. You might be a historian and she's in PR. You might be a swearer and he's not. Clearly, the styles must match at least to a small degree.

3] The guest might feel reticent for a number of reasons.

# Firstly, your blog is below his or hers in the pecking order and it is descending for him or her to post on your site. It would also brand him or her as a consorter with the 'little people'.
# Secondly, there is the time factor. To do your host justice, and a guest blogger would wish to do that, it takes time, research and thought.
# Thirdly, it cramps your style - you can never let loose as you would on your own blog although that is precisely what the host is hoping for.

4] Then there is the question of editing. I was edited almost out of existence by one host and the piece never appeared. I think if you invite a guest, then you trust that person enough to recognize the style of your blog and you do the same in reverse. As a libertarian, I think it's outrageous to edit another person's work and yet I don't know how many c--ts and f--ks I'd like to see on my site, as it's read by many from my town here.

Anyway, it's worth a try.

5 comments:

  1. Anyone who you objects becasue of No3 should be instantly banned from Blogpower, I thought we were all meant to be supportive. I am hoping to start by writing a post for Tom tomorrow and will gladly reciprocate.

    I often wish you and Tom would write more about life in Russia, any chance of you doing that for a post on my site, am I allowed to make that request?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a great idea and I'd certainly welcome a guest blogger on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WW, I'm working on it. Ellee, I agree with your sentiments. TD, you have to invite the person, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I have to be known to you to be a guest blogger?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.