Wednesday, December 20, 2006

[notices] apology, blogpower, spammer

When I sent the Blogfocus advices out last evening, I'd already briefly posted the piece to get the url to put in the letter. Then I saved it to 'draft' and awaited 21:00. When I opened it again to post for real, a small change occurred at the end of the url, I know not how, thus rendering all links I'd sent out useless. For this I sincerely apologize.

Blogpower update: apart from blowing out to proportions I'd never thought possible when I did that rant, the Tin Drummer has gone offscreen [can't get replies to e-mails, can't comment on his site] but I think one of the explanations is that he is in Cheltenham today being interviewed by Chris Vallance for 5 Live on the topic of Blogpower. Should be entertaining. I don't know what time, sorry and I don't think he was sure of that either. Hope it goes well.

On the theme of sending out notices, I really try to individualize as much as possible and only send to blogfriends who are half expecting it. I'm diametrically opposed to spamming people to come to this site - hence nourishing obscurity and my miniscule site stats. And yet that is precisely what some new conservative blogger did in the last two days.

It began with something like: "Hi, I'm one of the regular visitors to your site ..." and so on. He was a conservative and he said I was already blogrolled at his site. Though it appeared, in tone, to be a form letter, when I visited it seemed to be a genuine new site, until I saw that I was not blogrolled at all but the big names - Dale, Fawkes etc., were blogrolled. Did this happen to you too?

I deleted the letter from this man.

2 comments:

  1. Hasn't happened to me (obviously I'm too anonymous!) but its odd. I always when someone comments on my blog and leaves their url go and look at theirs and publicise mine through leaving comments on people's blogs. That's how say I became blogfriends with you and with many others- by talking to them on their blogs- I'm not sure that a spamming email would ever make me feel good as an intro to me I'd rather know someone through an exchange of comments and discussion- and then they're perfectly free to email me about their blog but then it isn't spam- its just continuing the discussion by other means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think in your comment are the standing orders for how bloggers should proceed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.