Wednesday, December 20, 2006

[good news] milan bans the waif

Why do they always look so empty? Because they’re half-starved, poor dears

Well, the homosexual fashion mafia have finally been brought to heel.

The Italian fashion capital Milan has formally barred ultra-skinny and under-age models ahead of its February catwalk shows, as the fashion world comes under pressure to promote a healthier image. The agreement signed on Monday between the city and its powerful fashion industry bans models under 16 and those with a body mass index of less than 18.50 from Milan's shows.

The accord also includes courses on healthy eating and exercise and calls for a variety of clothing sizes in shows. Body mass index is the ratio of weight to the square of height - so that a 1.73 m (5 foot 8 inch) model who weighed less than 55.4 kg (122 lb) would be barred. Brazil and Spain are also involved in banning under-age, under-weight models.

Now let me do a quick calculation here … height … square of height … divide … hmmm … my body mass index comes to … 234.8! No, that can’t be right. Let me try again. Er … 26.72. Yes, 26.72. Expect to see me on the catwalk next season, people – I’ll be the slightly balding one in the tutu waddling and pirouetting, not unlike John Belushi in the Blues Brothers.

7 comments:

  1. I agree they're too thin and have been ever since Twiggy but come on mate:

    "Well, the homosexual fashion mafia have finally been brought to heel."

    What about all the straight women in powerful positions, the Donatella Versaces, the Vogue and other magazine editors and owners? I've seen the words 'homosexual' and 'mafia' put together so many times - with theatre as one big oft-used example - and all I can say to the idea is, oh how I wish we had such controlling influence over society. Gays could rule the universe!

    Joking aside, though, the truth is that there is a millennia-old legacy of persecution which has always led many gay people into careers that promise less intimidation, more ability to express and be safe. A gay fashion designer is mostly working around women same as male hairdressers, many but not all of whom are gay. I have a media background, and while that is pretty much in general terms a rattle bag, it's still the case that the media is safer than, say, the building site.

    Hopefully we will over time see more gay people in different lines of work as discrimination becomes ever less acceptable. But no. No mafia. All your points I agree with. Except that one. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered why gay men design clothes that only look good on women who look like boys, figure-wise. I agree with you, James, because the "ideal" shape these women represent is not natural and I was horrified when I read about all the "pro-anorexia" websites. Yes, there are powerful women on the fashion scene, too and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for what they put other women through. They, after all, can afford the health farms, personal trainers and liposuction. I speak as one who has been anorexic , by the way, and also as one who has, on occasion, fallen in love with gay men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree to disagree with Spicy Cauldron over the disputed point. It is they who have made beautiful girls into ghouls. I have so many photos and not one looks happy or nice or kind. Why? Because haute couture demands cold beauty and where did that come from?

    WCL, you never cease to amaze me with what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can pack a lot of mistakes into 56 years if you try hard enough, James!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have exactly the same BMI as James, how scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not in favour of banning things.

    However, I have to agree that the models that have been preferred are far too undernourished to get my temperature rising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Cityunslicker, indeed scary. Maybe even mystic? No, no, that would be ill-informed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.